Aberlady’s school opened on May 21, 1931 with a speech by the head of Scottish education. Built to replace a now-demolished Victorian school on the High Street, it was seen as the state of the art…
Among the many wrecks that litter the sands at the mouth of Aberlady Bay, the hulks of two Second World War midget submarines are the most visible and the most dramatic. What are they, and how did they get there?
The ‘Ballincrieff Brick and Tile Works’ stood next to the main road between Aberlady and Haddington. For roughly a century, it produced not just bricks and roofing tiles, but more importantly field drains, which helped to
This handsome stone ornament, converted to a fountain, was placed in the Pleasance gardens in 1899, in memory of the Countess of Wemyss. It was given to Aberlady by her husband, the tenth Earl, who also played a very significant