History

The fifteenth-century Venetian well in Aberlady’s memorial garden

This handsome stone ornament, converted to a fountain, was placed in the Pleasance gardens in 1899, in memory of the Countess of Wemyss. It was given to Aberlady by her husband, the tenth Earl, who also played a very significant role in shaping how the village looks today… The Venetian well today, at the east …

The fifteenth-century Venetian well in Aberlady’s memorial garden Read More »

Moorland, farmland and brickworks – a history of Aberlady in mud and clay

The ‘Ballincrieff Brick and Tile Works’ stood next to the main road between Aberlady and Haddington. For roughly a century, it produced not just bricks and roofing tiles, but more importantly field drains, which helped to shape the farming landscape we know today. William Forrest’s map of Haddingtonshire, 1799, showing ‘Luffness Muir’ (top right) and …

Moorland, farmland and brickworks – a history of Aberlady in mud and clay Read More »