Local interest

The fifteenth-century Venetian well in Aberlady’s memorial garden

This handsome stone ornament, converted to a fountain, was placed in the Pleasance gardens in 1899, to honour the Countess of Wemyss. It was given by her husband, the tenth Earl, who also played a very significant role in shaping how the village looks today… The Venetian well today, at the east end of the

The fifteenth-century Venetian well in Aberlady’s memorial garden Read More »

Moorland, farmland and brickworks – a history of Aberlady in mud and clay

Moorland, farmland and brickworks – a history of Aberlady in mud and clay The ‘Ballincrieff Brick and Tile Works’ stood next to the main road between Aberlady and Haddington. For roughly a century, it produced not just bricks and roofing tiles, but more importantly field drains, which helped to shape the farming landscape we know

Moorland, farmland and brickworks – a history of Aberlady in mud and clay Read More »